Saturday, March 21, 2015

Wrapping Up

When reflecting back on this trip I think that two things stood out as my favorite service. I really liked volunteering at Courtney's House and teaching at Thurgood Marshall School.

What really struck me about Courtney's House was the dedication that all of the employees had. Looking around the house you could see the "rules of the house" that the kids had written up. I also appreciated that Courtney's House also provided services for boys and trans youth since many times I feel so that those exploited populations can get forgotten.

I also appreciated how serious Courtney's House took security and confidentiality. I talked to one of the employees in the investigation department about the cyber security they have in place. That is something I would be interested in, tracking pimps and victims though cyber investigation.

At Thurgood Marshall I got to talk with two students about if they liked our presentation and one girl said she thinks we should give the presentation to every high schooler in DC. Another girl said that the pen exercise during the consent lesson. I also talked to Ms.Lee and she was so grateful that we came in and that all the kids love it and learn so much every year.

One of the students was really interested in UMD and wanted to know about the Criminology and Criminal Justice major. I was so happy that our time at Thurgood Marshall was able to teach the students about human trafficking and represent UMD as well.

- Lucas

No comments:

Post a Comment